MUSIC & ENTERTAINMENT
• 30 titles from salsa label Fania were re-released this week courtesy of
Miami’s Emusica. The label was founded by Johnny Pacheco and Jerry Masucci
in the 60’s. The re-released albums include recordings from Ruben Blades,
Willie Colon, Ray Barretto, Tito Puente, Celia Cruz and Hector Lavoe.
• Joan Sebastian will be honored with the Billboard Hall of Fame Award at this
year’s Billboard Latin Music Awards. Shakira will receive the Spirit of Hope
Award for her humanitarian work and will also perform during the show. The
awards will air on Telemundo on April 27th.
• Popular telenovela-turned-pop stars RBD kicked off their North American tour
to a crowd of 60,000 fans this weekend in Los Angeles‚ Memorial Coliseum.
The sold-out show was the first for a Latin act at that venue.
• Gloria Estefan donated $1 million to the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis
this week. Estefan’s interest in paralysis research is a personal one after
her recovery from a spinal injury in a bus crash back in 1990.
• El Festival Imperial takes place April 1st and 2nd in Costa Rica. The
two-day music festival roster includes international artists such as
Jamiroquai, Sting, Vicentico, Diego Torres, Belanova and Miranda.